November 14, 2008

Faculty?

So I am working in Vancouver as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of British Columbia. For me, this new status as an official member of the faculty of a university is pretty odd. I'm entitled to my very own mailbox in the department office and a faculty, not a student, id card. But that is about it - no company pension plan yet! Post-docs are often classified as post-docs or staff, so it was bit of a surprise to be a faculty member. Since this has never been one of my dreams or aspirations, I find it one of the funnier rather than serious aspects of this new life. Or maybe it is just the easily removable tape that holds my name tag to the mailbox that makes it funny.

But seriously, I feel as if something else is required of me as a faculty member, like not wearing jeans to work more than twice a week or something. Or having at least three different hairstyles. Or knowing what I'm talking about more than 50% of the time. I shall not cave in to wearing heels to work (yet)!

3 comments:

  1. oh come on, I wore heels as a grad student!!! You can do it! BTW, miss you much out here, its strange to be on a ship w/o you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heels & 3 hairstyles? /me swoons

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two have already been apart too long. Keep it clean for the kids', er parents' sake.

    ReplyDelete