January 17, 2009

Organic living

Hopefully it is no surprise to most of you that money is tight these days. For some reason this seems to make it harder for me to purchase organic items. Back in Delaware, we were largely buying all our produce organic or at least local at the co-op and most of our household products were "green". When I first got here, I needed some things before I found the organic/co-op stores, so I bought the usual brands. Now I've used up all of those items, and it's time to buy again. So why is it so hard to be in the store and see that the eco-friendly laundry detergent cost $1.50 more than the regular stuff? Like it shouldn't make a big difference, but it does. It hurts the wallet, but does it really? What else would I really do with that $1.50? Buy a cheeseburger or more organic bananas? But you don't think like that in the store aisle surrounded by equally annoyed customers.

Still I managed to buy organic bananas, organic cleaner, organic toilet paper, and organic spaghetti sauce. If I don't save the planet, who will?

Oh yes and I got a desk, a blender, a cabinet of 4 drawers that fits under the desk, and a desk chair (used of course). And on Tuesday I get a clothes drying rack (wohoo, no more dryer usage!) and a foam mattress, all for $80. The blisters from trying to get the desk re-assembled were apparently free.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a painful irony that to be environmentally responsible is "seemingly" reserved for the wealthy, who tend to be some of the largest consumers. Good for you for doing what you can!

    ReplyDelete