Last Thursday, the day before the opening ceremonies, the Olympic torch relay ran by UBC. That's right, Jason could have watched from his office window. The Olypmic Torch came by our WORK!
We went out to the newly constructed green space across from the Student Union Building in the center of campus and stood in the rain for about a half hour before the torch came by. The crowd was probably around 500 students and faculty, some with family. We had some trouble finding some friends, and I was getting a bit crabby standing in the mud.
But then we finally saw the torch. The flame appears about 30 seconds into the video below.
It was amazing. I still get a bit teary-eyed thinking about it. How to express seeing this symbol of peace, unity, and sports in person?
The runner was a bit jumpy with the torch, but now I realize that he was just so EXCITED. We were all so excited, still are.
No comments:
Post a Comment