April 13, 2010

Bad Image Day

I wrote this post last week just before I had to teach, when all my insecurities were rising up at once. I feel better just now, but I still would like to hear what suggestions are out there for looking and feeling better.

Lately I have been having what I call Bad Image Days. My hair is imperfect, my make-up is non-existent, my clothes are out of style, my work performance is adequate, but not spectacular and my body is not bad, but less than ideal. So you know, I have been working on it. Letting my hair grow and thinking about highlighting it. Exercising to have the clothes fit better and feel stronger. Trying not to work every evening at home so that days at least seem more productive. It is not really helping. I always feel like I need to do "MORE" of everything - work, home, exercise, saving the world.

Realizing that some things will not change - as in I will never spend more than 15min doing my hair and make-up in the morning or 30min working out or 10 hours working each day - I'm looking for ideas of small things to build confidence at all these levels. I think I mostly have an attitude problem combined with a perception problem.

3 comments:

  1. There is pressure to do it all, and that is just not possible. One of the things I do is make a list every single day. I have done this for a really long time. It feels good to cross things off and see what I have done at the end of the day. I put even the simplest of things on there, too. Everything counts. Try it!

    As for the image, I just have Lamar tell me how much he loves me a lot! I also really focus on not comparing myself to anyone for any reason. That is one of my huge flaws. I see someone and think, "man, she is really stylish, and I look like a hobo today," or "wow, her hair is amazing and I think mine is almost in dreads by now from not brushing it." I really try to stop at noticing and not compare myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just work on saving the world. The rest will come naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about anything other than saving the world. You're best suited for that. The rest will come naturally.

    ReplyDelete