April 11, 2011

The Littlest Hedgehogs, Days 12 & 13

Harlo being weighed over the weekend

Still kicking along in the NICU. Both Harlo and Rhys are gaining weight (over 1kg now) and are able to come outside their nests for "cuddles". Saturday was our first double cuddle when Jason and I both had a boy out at the same time. We were able to do that again last night, and today I may get to hold each of them in the same day, although still at different times and not together. We are hopeful that they will both be up to full feeds (that is the giant amount of 12 to 14mLs every 2 hours) by the end of this week. We had some set-backs with breathing over the weekend, but Harlo and Rhys are bigger, stronger, and doing okay.

Both Jason and I are back to work. Jason is full-time back in the lab, and I am slowly adding days back to the work week. It is hard not to feel guilty about not being there all the time, but we know that sleeping is best medicine for them (and us). On the upside (or maybe downside) we both got to change dirty - and not just wet - diapers this weekend.

Keep wishing us luck, we so appreciate the comments, cards and notes. Oh yes, and Richard Winston Mertz you are TOO GENEROUS!

Day 12: Rhys and Danielle snuggling & Harlo chillin'

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you guys! These two are such little cutie pies already. I can't wait to see you holding both of them at the same time. I know it is hard leaving them at the hospital. Don't feel guilty! NICU nurses are angels on this earth and are taking such good care of them. Please don't work too hard on "work" stuff. Rest up! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Holding Days!! Wow! It is so neat to see the boys out and being held. We hope you feel our goosebumps as we peek into your lives. You should be glad to be going to work. That means the boys are doing well and that you can save your time until they are ready to come home. We love you all and we continue to send our prayers and our love your way. Yeah, Rhys and Harlo. Keep it going!! Sally and Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like they are doing very well.. so happy for all of you. Keep cuddling them !
    Love Pop-Pop and M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Glad the boys are gaining weight and doing well. Thanks again for the update. Only 10 weeks till we get to see them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear that the boys are coming along so well! You are all in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I don't know you but you went to Highschool with my husband Ryan Bailey, and Bernadette told me about you. Just wanted to offer a word of encouragement.

    I have an 18 month old preemie who is doing fantastic. We were discharged from the NICU on January 3, 2010. Our daughter was born 1 lbs 9 oz or 760 grams at 28 weeks.

    It is overwhelming right now, but have faith and you will make it out of there. It will be hard but you will get to take them home. Learn everything you can from the nurses!

    Our thoughts and prayers are with y'all.

    Ellen Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear that you both can cuddle with them both now. They are both very handsome and looking bigger and bigger everyday! I love how Rhys have his hand on you Danielle. I am thinking of you and your updates make me very happy...wishing you the easiest time getting back to the lab.
    much love
    Elif

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so encouraged by your comments!! It is wonderful to hear from all of you.

    D&J

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told Ellen Bailey about you Danielle. She used to have a blog but I guess she isn't now...anyway, sweet girl with their tiny sweet heart.
    She was a micro-preemie.
    I love love seeing the pics of you holding the boys. so sweet. hard to believe it but they do grow up quick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You don't know me, but I'm a friend of your dad's, Danielle. He shared the link to your blog with me and I love being able to watch the boys' progress. Know that there is a steady stream of love and prayers from several of us at Mayline. Ruth Jones-Partrick

    ReplyDelete